Lifeguard Certification Course
(Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED): $200
(Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED): $150
CPR only: $50
To be determined
Class space is limited so register soon!
The Pleasanton City Pool offers people the opportunity to become an American Red Cross certified Lifeguard. In this class, students will obtain all the knowledge and skills, including teamwork, surveillance and rescue skills, First-Aid, and CPR/AED to work as a lifeguard. Successful completion of the class results in a 2-year lifeguarding certificate which includes Lifeguarding/CPR/First-Aid/AED
1. Be at least 15 years of age before the completion of the course.
2. Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Swim goggles may be used.
- First 100 yards will be front-crawl (free-style)
- Second 100 yards will be breast stroke
- Last 100 yards will be swimmers choice (front crawl, breast stroke, or combination of both).
4. Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds. Swim goggles are not allowed.
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards.
- Surface dive, feet-first or head-first, to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object.
- Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface so they are able to get a breath. Candidates should not swim the distance under water.
- Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
To receive the two course completion certificates that are valid for two years in the American Red Cross Lifeguarding, First Aid and CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer courses, the participant must:
- Demonstrate competency in all required skills.
- Demonstrate competency in the final skills scenarios.
- Correctly answer at least 80% of the questions on the final written examinations.